Just yesterday (IIRC, this week at least) I was looking over Basecamp’s pricing and plotting to downgrade. They offered a starter plan for $30/month, and we are still paying $50/month. With Trello’s rapid rise to basic usability (you see I’m not exactly throwing out the praising superlatives in all directions) I thought I could easily prune my active Basecamp project list down.
I got back to that task today, and then went to re-price Basecamp’s service, and this is what I saw:
Now, “a dollar a day” is substantially similar to $30/month, but I must say it was surprising to see it! The last three times I have looked at this page, albeit over the course of 2-3 years, it has been different each time.
And the second part of the surprise is that while it says “switch packages or cancel anytime,” there isn’t actually a downgrade option on my “upgrade” page:
But of course the support is superb:
…or at least have a toggle-able option in the settings for such. Thanks!
* The ability to “Star” tasks and have them show up in a central place on the Dashboard (i.e. tasks I’m going to do today vis a vis GTD)
* Toggle-able, searchable, inherent Priority tab on every task (with custom priority levels) aka tags for to-do’s
* Drag-able content on the “Me” page, as well as
* Saving the last state of the To Do’s drop down select on page refresh/reload
* The pop up for the due date / assignee should not disappear in between selecting the two of those. (This makes 4 clicks for setting both, instead of 3…)
The new Basecamp is great, and I know you are working on the upgrading process. A couple things that would be nice are
(1) An option to de-privatize all “Private” items in a projects, in lieu of a method of being able to import them.
(2) An option to notify All Users of a project when it is imported.
I find myself manually doing these two steps on each project that I do import, because not having Private items in the new version is not a deal-killer for most projects (the loop-in feature neatly replaces most of the need for this, although they are do not fit exactly the same scenarios), and everybody does have to be notified when the project moves 🙂 although I appreciate that it is not automatic.
It would also be very nice to have a one-click import for all eligible projects. It takes a while to go in and click on each one, and wait, and click, and so on.
UPDATE 2012-05-07 Mon
Everything’s migrated except one project… Where I’ve gone through and looked and looked for that last tricky Private item and haven’t found it yet. Aaargh…
We need a signature filter for Basecamp email inputs, RTM email inputs, and others, where the software learns to recognize the “signature” elements of the inbound email and removes them from the “active data” portion of the message. It should also apply retroactively, since in the abscense of an industry standard signature demarcation (excepting “–” which seems to be the only standard) it would take 2+ repetitions for the AI to determine what constitutes the static portion of the inbound messages. Alternatively, some other form of marking the active data could be used, but that would be a less clean solution and require user training.
Perhaps a single, open-source component could be developed and implemented in many places.